A family living well with type 1 diabetes.

Here Comes The Sun.

Welcome to Jenna’s Pet Monkey’s new home!

This is a move I’ve been contemplating for a long time. If you took part in the Diabetes Blog Week you’ll recall Blogger’s massive dropping of the ball which threw all Blogger using D-bloggers into a tizzy when no one could access their account for a couple of days. The timing of this Blogger glitch was unfortunate. The disappearance of some posts and comments was especially upsetting. Since then all posts and their comments have been restored, but it was enough to give me the nudge I needed to take my blogging business elsewhere and up my game a bit in the process.

Here comes the sun.

I’m still finding my way around my new digs here at WordPress.  There is plenty to learn and explore. My blog’s appearance may change several times over the course of the next few months, much like my blog did over at Blogger in the first year or so as I became familiar with all the functions and widgets. But I’m enjoying the change so far. It’s good to shake things up a bit now and then. The last six months of my life serve as proof that I am no stranger to change. This is just a drop in the change bucket.

Speaking of change, I’ve been struggling with all the change that has occurred in my life in the past half year. Not all of it has gone smoothly and, indeed, some of it has been downright painful. I’ve been soul-searching my ass off trying to come to terms with certain things. In the process I have found myself in a rather cloudy place on one or two occasions.

The last time was a couple of days ago in the wee hours. It seems like the blue hour is appropriately named. It’s when my brain wants to explore my deepest fears – when I am most acutely aware of all my doubts and hurts. I much prefer to be sleeping during that time because of this. But a spaghetti-induced, delayed high blood sugar was seeing to it that I would remain conscious and venture into a few more shadowy corners of my mind.

I had just crawled back into bed after performing my third check on Jenna, confirming that she was still high. I had completed the necessary site change to rule out a site gone bad and now I couldn’t shut my brain off. Sleep was not happening. I was missing my support network that I had before we moved from our home of four years –  my friends, family, fellow Moms of kids with type 1 diabetes. I have yet to meet many people here in our new city, let alone create any fabulous friendships or meet anyone in the diabetes community.

I’d made a decision weeks ago to sink my teeth into the diabetes advocacy role even further. This is my passion in life now. (Funny how having a child with a serious, life-threatening disease can do that to a parent). So I had contacted the local JDRF rep here in our new city and made arrangements to have coffee with her at a Starbucks. The meeting was to take place at 9 am later this same morning. I contemplated cancelling the appointment. How could I go to a meeting sleep-deprived and feeling blue? I was liable to fall apart right there in front of her! But I didn’t have a phone number to call and cancel, having made the meeting by email. Furthermore, if I were to cancel the meeting by email there was a good chance the woman from JDRF wouldn’t get the message in time. I don’t think it would make a good first impression on this woman if I were a no-show for a meeting I had initiated. I would just have to suck it up.

As it turned out the meeting went beautifully. It was just what I needed. She asked what brought us to the area so I gave her a brief synopsis of the previous six months. She was very kind and grateful that I wanted to volunteer with JDRF fundraising. She explained that there were numerous opportunities for me that would work with my schedule and my areas of expertise. And she also mentioned a few support resources for me. In fact, that was the very first thing she mentioned at the start of our meeting, as if she intuitively knew that this was what I needed from her.

She mentioned support for when Jenna starts kindergarten next year. She talked about the local diabetes clinic and asked if I had contacted them yet. And she mentioned the name of a local mom – Sarah – who is very active with JDRF in an advocate and mentor role. Her daughter is seven years old and was diagnosed at 18 months. She said that she felt Sarah and I would have much in common and she felt strongly that I should meet with her.  She asked if I would be okay with her forwarding my contact information to Sarah. Of course, I said yes.

The meeting wrapped up, we went our separate ways and I felt like I had recharged, having met another person in my new city with the promise of meeting still more people who have first hand knowledge of what it means to be the parent of a child with type 1 diabetes. I proceeded to go about the rest of my day running errands with Jenna tagging along. This included a stop at the mall to take advantage of a sale at a children’s clothing store. Both my girls have grown like weeds, as kids tend to do, and require new summery attire. As I was rummaging through the racks of summer clothes, trying to stave off Jenna’s constant requests for frilly dresses instead of the sensible shorts and tees that I was leaning toward, a woman approached me.

“Excuse me…hi there. I couldn’t help noticing your daughter has an insulin pump. I also have a daughter who has type 1 diabetes. She is seven years old. My name is Sarah.”

My jaw dropped. Could this be the same woman I had been told about only two hours prior by the JDRF rep?!

“Oh my gosh. I think I’m supposed to meet you!” I replied with a deer-caught-in-the-headlights look on my face.

I went on to explain about the meeting I had just had and how her name had been mentioned.  She confirmed that she was, indeed, the woman the JDRF rep had told me about. We chatted about a few things only D-Moms would chat about. She let me know about a few plans in the works for our upcoming JDRF walk and invited me to some D-Mom get-togethers. It was lovely.

The day had started so early and unhappily. Now it was taking a definite turn for the better. It was like  the universe was letting me know, at a time I needed the reassurance the most, that everything is going to be okay. I am where I am supposed to be, doing what I am meant to do. It seems the clouds are finally bugging out and the sun is promising to shine once more.

And to think I almost cancelled that meeting.

About these ads

Comments on: "Here Comes The Sun." (7)

  1. Nice new digs!

  2. Like your new blog home.
    Love that you went to the meeting and yay! met Sarah.

  3. Denise aka Mom of Bean said:

    Cool new site!
    That is so awesome that you have connected in your new home. Totally love that Sarah came up to you at the mall!!! It made me smile a big cheesy smile!! :)

  4. you left me!? Lol that is the coolest story!!! I love the power of Dmoms!

    Ive been working with JDRF for 2 years now and its amazing. Second family and the greatest group of people. Youll love it!

  5. WOW. I love it when the universe conspires to give you a big YES that you need in that moment. Great story, thanks for sharing. :)

  6. Shirley Plastow said:

    This is good to hear Sherry. I’m glad that you’re settled now and happy. Wishing you all the best, as always. xox

  7. […] I wrote about a meeting I had with a JDRF rep who mentioned a fellow D-Mom that she wanted me to meet named […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,066 other followers

%d bloggers like this: